baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:12:42 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> If we were to put Slackware 9.1 on the same
> drive as Bl2 in its own partition, could we
> boot with Bl2 and chroot to SW91, assuming
> we set it up similarly to BL2 (same file system).

Probably. I've never installed Slackware 9.1
so I can't be sure what the default filesystem
is like.

> I have deleted much of what the full gcc package
> installed that appeared to relate to things other
> than i386, or to hardware I never expect to own
> (ham radio, joystick).

The operative word is "appeared". It is easy for
an inexperienced user to delete something important.

> perhaps they expect a later gcc.

I have never found the gcc version to be a problem.
The usual sources of difficulty are: library version,
kernel version, missing utilities.

> perhaps you know how much RAM is taken up by
> including the ability to use the sound modules

Nope.

> How would one use one of these cameras with a desktop
> computer and BL?

There are cheap adapters to plug CF cards into IDE slots.
They show up in Linux as HDs. I believe it is common for
CF cards to carry DOS filesystems.

> Are there ways to add card readers for other types of
> memory cards?

There are IDE units (same size as a CDrom drive) which
have diffferent slots for CF, SD, memory stick, etc.
One sold on our local auction last week for $10. I was
tempted to bid on it, but I don't have a digital camera
(nor any CF cards).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru