baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:01:22 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Running the installation routine from X introduces a
> whole bunch of additional variables. By keeping it
> simple, you minimize the potential points of failure.
<snip>
> They come up as WARNINGS, not ERRORS. That probably
> means they are not fatal. However, any failure (even
> a WARNING) might be related to the problem, so it's
> worthwhile fixing them.
<snip>
> Yes. Initially you should try to mimic your successful
> Slackware 4.0 installation. Once you've got it working
> you can trim things back to discover what's really important.

Ok. I've done all that (added XKeysmDB and XErrorDB to /usr/lib/X11, run
the install program from the console and directed it to install into the
/opt/WP8 directory which I created) and don't see a whole lot of
difference. It's still failing. BUT, fortunately, Busybox seems to
contain Top. Switching to another console and running Top I see egrep at
the top of the list consuming 98.8% of CPU cycles. Does this tell you
anything? Is it maybe calling grep with some unusual switches the Busybox
grep doesn't understand? Do I need the full grep/egrep next?

James