baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:51:53 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Are you maybe saying I should be trying to do it
> from a console instead of an xterm within Xwindows?

Yes.

> but I would get a command line installation
> routine rather than the graphical one

Running the installation routine from X introduces a
whole bunch of additional variables. By keeping it
simple, you minimize the potential points of failure.

> I should mention that the screen full of keyboard
> errors actually appears when I start up the graphical
> install program: I don't think it changes once I've
> started and run through all installation options.

They come up as WARNINGS, not ERRORS. That probably
means they are not fatal. However, any failure (even
a WARNING) might be related to the problem, so it's
worthwhile fixing them.

> That probably makes determining where the problem
> lies doubly difficult to determine.

I never said this was going to be easy. However,
there must be a solution somewhere. You know
Slackware 4.0 works. You can simply keep adding
bits of Slackware 4.0 until it does work.

> > Did you use the same directory for your (successful)
> > installation on Slackware 4.0 ?
>
> No. BL doesn't have an /opt directory, and I was trying
> to avoid creating a new root directory. Should I go ahead
> and create one

Yes. Initially you should try to mimic your successful
Slackware 4.0 installation. Once you've got it working
you can trim things back to discover what's really important.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru