baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:53:25 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Warning: ... found while parsing '<key> osfDown:MenuTraverseDown()'
> >
> > That's on the last line that appears in the xterm from
> > which I started the install routine.
>
> Are you required to start the installation routine
> from an xterm? If not, I suggest you try it from
> the CLI.

I don't follow what you're saying here. I have the understanding that
"xterm" and "CLI" are virtually synonymous concepts (you have to have an
xterm open to access the command line). Are you maybe saying I should be
trying to do it from a console instead of an xterm within Xwindows? I
suppose I could do that, but I would get a command line installation
routine rather than the graphical one, of course.

> There is an explanation somewhere. We just have to figure
> out the point of failure.

I should mention that the screen full of keyboard errors actually appears
when I start up the graphical install program: I don't think it changes
once I've started and run through all installation options. So, I don't
think it appears in response to ticking the final "ok" box in the last
graphical installer window I see. That probably makes determining where
the problem lies doubly difficult to determine.

> Did you use the same directory for your (successful)
> installation on Slackware 4.0 ?

No. BL doesn't have an /opt directory, and I was trying to avoid creating
a new root directory. Should I go ahead and create one, then put a WP8
dir under it, so I have the same setup as the one that worked in Slack 4.0
(/opt/WP8)?

> Those are all defined in XKeysymDB. I suggest you get
> that file from Slackware and put it in /usr/lib/X11/
> The XErrorDB file usually goes with XKeysymDB so you
> might want to copy that too (into /usr/lib/X11)

Ok. I'll try that next. I'm not sure those keyboard errors are really
the reason the install hangs like that, but I suppose I should at least
try and eliminate it as a factor.

James