baslinux - Re: [BL] Can BL1 and Bl3 share a partition?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can BL1 and Bl3 share a partition?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:50:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Rather than copying Bl1 somewhere else (via plip or
serial cable with pppd), repartitioning into 50 and
150MB partitions, and copying it back again, can we
mount bl3 / on /dev/hda1/bl3

No.
Okay. Want to explain why? Can't you put file systems (mke2fs) on anything smaller than a partition?

If not, would you be willing to compile a 2.4 kernel
with USB support

No. After conducting my experiment I deleted the 2.4
source code. I suggest you use a usb kernel from
Slackware.

We are doing that. On the newer computers RAM is not in short supply but the large Slackware kernels take longer to boot as they are also looking for RAID etc. Still pretty good compared to Redhat or Caldera. I like your kernels better. We will try your 2.4 kernel with SW81 and a PS/2 adaptor on the USB mouse.

that we could use on newer computers with Bl3 and Bl2?

I'm not interested in modifying BasicLinux for newer
computers (which have lots of distributions to choose
from). The purpose of BL3 is provide a useful Linux
for 486s and early Pentiums.

BL3 is certainly ideal for 486 laptops and even works on 386s.
Maybe in a couple of years you will find it interesting to make a minimal SW81 for 'old' pentium laptops with USB.

I will let you know how netcat works for file transfer/unpackaging after we fix a loose power connector on the 486 laptop with slow floppy drive (NEC proprietary plugin type so we can't replace it with our 11 spares). Both 486s install and run BL3 loop perfectly and have VESA color video but one is only 8-bit. I will make a minimal SVGA package to use with seejpeg or zgv so links2 and lynx can display images in CLI mode. They can both be used in greyscale with a switch, which I think produces 256-shade grey instead of 16-'color' grey on 4-bit videos.