baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 01:39:18 +0000 (UTC)

We had a serious problem with dosemu in CLI - at the prompt or in a program if you type A or S they do not appear on the screen. Lowercase a and s are okay. We will try it on different hardware next.

If I get WP51 working I will report how. I don't use the graphical parts of it but could try to make those work too, however I think they need regular X, and I have BL2 set up with Xvesa, so it would need to be BL1 (with libc6 added for dosemu).

I have been unable to get dosemu installed as 'user', only as 'root'. I get pages of error messages unless I am root. The instructions say specifically to install as a user in the user's home directory in some subdirectory such as mydos. I tried that exactly, no luck.

When I install it in /root as root it makes a /dosemu directory and things mostly work except A and S will not appear on screen (lower case works and other letters work). Tried three keyboards on the first machine and one on the second. Pentium II and Pentium I machines with AMD or Intel cpus.
BL2 with upgraded glibc2 from SW81.

My partner's text editor works apart from missing letters. It uses Function but not Alt keys.

I made a subdirectory /wp in /root/dosemu and copied to it all the files in my DOS /wp51 directory using linux, then loaded dosemu and went into the /wp directory and typed wp. It loaded wp.

I normally use DOS and linux on my TTL monitor. Under dosemu, wp 51 underlines do not show up, so I switched to VGA. The bold and centering did work.

In VGA underlines show up as reverse. There are ways (in plain DOS) to set them to show up as underlines instead, with white text on black. I think I have my DOS version set that way but the dosemu one did not use those settings.

I tried to reveal codes and ended up in VT 3 because reveal codes is Alt F3. Block is Alt F4. So I would say WP51 is not very useful under dosemu unless you use it without Alt keys. Alt-F1 is thesaurus and Alt-F2 is replace (as in search and replace).

Is there a simple way to change linux temporarily so Alt-F3 does not change terminals? chvt 3 gets you VT3 in BL2 (but not in BL3).

I am happy with loadlin and using DOS programs in DOS. Good luck to the people searching for a mono or 4-bit color X wordprocessor.

I looked at RTF::Writer and it is written in perl therefore does not need compiling. It might work as a small wordprocessor that could export text to MS WORD and other programs, but would hardly be 'familiar'.