baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:36:31 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> An initial attempt at installing WP8 under BL3 has
> failed, as expected. A couple of failure points:
> the installation routine failing to find awk

You'll need to install gawk. It's probably in the
bin.tgz package. The installation routine should
symlink it to awk.

> Second, the graphical install fails to start (goes
> to text-based): I think this is because it is not
> finding the libXt.so.6.0 file I copied over from
> Slack 4. I'm not exactly sure why it's not finding
> it, since it's definitely in the right directory.
> I'm wondering if it's because the lib file needs to
> be symlinked for some reason?

ldconfig creates the necessary symlinks. Installing
icewm.tgz automatically runs ldconfig. However, if
you copied libXt AFTER installing icewm.tgz, you will
need to execute ldconfig yourself.

> wget doesn't have a manpage in BL, but I think it
> needs one.

None of the busybox commands have manpages in BL3
(except for sh and init). In most cases the --help
parameter tells users enough.

> And it needs one that gives the syntax necessary
> for username/password protected servers.

Downloading from password-protected FTP servers is
not that common. Uploading, of course, is a different
story (but wget does not upload).

> wget ftp://uname:passwd AT ftp.server.addy/dirname/filename

It's interesting that you are able to do that with the
busybox wget. I suppose that syntax is part of the FTP
protocol.

> it's been a real pain

Sounds like you are getting annoyed. Debugging can
be very frustrating, particularly with something as
complicated as wp8. I've spend days (sometimes weeks)
trying to get things to work on BL3 (eg GTK) only to
give up in the end. It's a dirty job, but (hopefully)
it will pay off. Thank you for making the effort.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru