baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:17:05 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, James Miller wrote:

> where I've started the instllation from things like "Warning: ... not
> found while parsing '<key> osfDown:MenuTraverseDown()'. I have no idea

Actually, that should be

Warning: ... found while parsing '<key> osfDown:MenuTraverseDown()'

That's on the last line that appears in the xterm from which I started the
install routine. Installing bin.tgz (/a3) got rid of the awk error I was
getting. So, the graphical install client comes up and goes through the
various selections prior to install, but in the end, it still fails.
After selecting the printer (last of the questions you are asked by the
install routine), the graphical installer window disappears (I think it's
supposed to, and the software is actually supposed to install at this
point), the cpu meter in Icewm goes to 100% and there it sits. I can
leave it for several minutes and come back and nothing more is happening.
The hard drive is not churning--which is a sign that what's supposed to be
happening isn't. But why the cpu gets maxed I don't know. There's no
helpful output in the xterm that I can see: just the line above, and alot
more like it preceding. I've actually copied those lines to a file I'd
like to append here, but don't have a good way to get it out of that
computer--any suggestions? If I hit ctrl-c after some time the hung
installation routine stops and I get the message "Installation Successful"
in the xterm. And the cpu meter normalizes. But the files aren't in the
directory I instructed the install routine to put them in. There are alot
of extra files in the dir where the WP installation files are, but I think
those are all related to installing: none are the binary that runs the
program, that's for sure.

Looks to me like an inexplicable failure. I don't have any helpful
output from the computer to analyze and see where it's failing. Any ideas
on anything else to try? Perhaps it doesn't like the directory I'm trying
to install it to (/usr/share/wp8)? I'm sort of at a loss at this point.

James