baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:39:10 +0000 (UTC)

I think I have a hardware problem with my ttyS0 (com1). The external modem in it usually works with BL2 but not with BL3 or DOS. And Kermit
will usually NOT let me set line or set speed, or if it does it takes a very long time (usually times out) and then I cannot exit Kermit except with kill `pidof kermit` which often does not even work.

I compared and the other computer does it all just fine. I have instructions for a direct kermit to kermit connection and could not get that going without setting line. (set modem type none, set line /dev/ttyS0, set carrier-watch off, set speed ....., set flow rts/cts, set parity even, connect). When I try this it looks like it is connecting but then nothing else happens. Can't use escape sequence Ctrl-\ ? to get help, or C to exit connection.

THis might explain why telnet worked on the first few tries, stopped working, worked again, won't work any more.

Linux is still usually loading on this computer but sometimes I get 'not a kernel image'. Luckily people keep giving us more computers, most recently a 200Mhz which takes 4x64MB SIMMS that won't work anywhere else but certain intel boards, according to a website. This is not an Intel board.

No point in trying serial networking on this comport. I might try com3 (into which the modem is now plugged, used to be com2).

Kermit claims to do network as well as serial connections and to accept connections. Maybe I can get it working over ethernet in linux. Would rather not learn DOS ethernet and hunt for rtl8139 or tulip drivers or DOS plip drivers. I think I can handle packet drivers as I use them to dial the ISP.