baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 - download problem with linux files

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 - download problem with linux files
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:27:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> > I tried again with eznet up 0 for the old ISP (via the
> > university) and it got to 44544 out of 61K, 72%, and
> > stalled, just like many times before over the past few days.
>
> If we assume microcom working OK, it takes the focus off
> the hardware and init strings. As I said in a previous
> message, a possible cause of your problem is pppd (which
> comes from Slackware 3.5). I suggest you get pppd-2.3
> from Slackware 4.0 (n5), rename it pppd and substitute
> it for the pppd in BL3.
>
> Does that fix your downloading problem?

YES!!!!! THe new pppd-2.3 is 122 rather than 106K. You could eliminate
all the wallpaper and network modules and have space for this upgrade,
which might save other people such headaches.

BL3 is definitely a winner now. With Kermit, not microcom.

Kermit 2.07 compiled for SW3.5 (2.09 for SW40 does not work with BL3) let
me dial my bbs, telnet to my other shell account, use links to fetch
ppp.tgz from ftp.planetmirror.com (lynx 2.61 was lacking its cursor, links
worked fine), unpackage the package, and do a kermit file transfer from
that shell account, apparently via my first dial-in bbs shell account,
directly to my own computer! Amazing program. Worth the 1.46M (even tho
it will not fit on a floppy disk now).

I wonder what is wrong with lynx in this case - some terminal problem most
likely. That is why it is nice to have a choice of browsers.
I will try to get lynx 2.8.1 (SW40) working better, maybe with a newer
ncurses from SW35 or 40. What version is libncurses.so.1.9.9g from?