baslinux - [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] occasional glitches with plip connection
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:55:35

Steven,

when you tested laplink connections under linux, can you remember any
problems like the following?

I am trying to free my harddisk from software archives and save
everything to CDs. In order to get all the files to the right place
I set up a plip connection between two PCs and ran nfs server on one
of them.

Only by chance I realized that there are "occasional glitches" in the
files. About 5 percent of files copied through the laplink cable
were damaged. In a very deceiving way: File size is identical. If the
copied files are zip archives, the files listing may be readable
and identical, too. But one tiny part of the file contains trash.

I have cancelled the operation and used MS interlnk/intersvr under
DOS, instead. And I was a bit surprised.

1. What would you say, has caused the damage? Actually there have
been many timeout errors during the copying procedure. But this
generally does not cause damages in the files (I thought until now)

2. Is there a way to verify important file transfers of that kind?

Regards
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov