baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:29:56 -0500 (EST)

I was at some point able to use X programs without a window manager in Bl2
but I forget how I did that. I recall that Opera tended to crash more
without the window manager, but in the case of Bl3 I can't use Opera
anyway. What I can use is Kermit in rxvt and see if it provides a scroll
buffer, since command line Kermit has no scroll buffer, but I don't need a
window manager for running one command-line program in X, nor should I
need one to run links with xli. (I will need to reprogram xmodmap to use
my arrow keys, though).

I think I typed something like startx -e kermit but this is not working.
Please help. This would be simpler than redoing rxvt size in the swm
menu and fiddling with font sizes.

Another option is to use ratpoison, which is somewhat larger than swm but
uses full-screen windows by default (or split-screen if wanted). You use
keyboard commands to switch between windows. I found ratpoison once,
probably compiled for Debian (2.2 matches SW7.1?). What version of Debian
would correspond to SW4.0 and where would I find it? At the Debian site
I looked at various mirrors and only one even had 2.2.

I don't know what ratpoison does in pine and lynx with bold fonts - does
it use X fonts or console fonts for these console programs?

I can unpackage .deb packages using BL2 (ar -x or something like that).
You only need the ratpoison executable, no symlinks, and libc and no
libXpm since it is non graphical. It is 290K source code so probably not
a good candidate for BL3 as a default wm. 215K old version compiled, but
that includes lots of doc type files. swm is 19K but needs 55K libXpm and
mouse. I don't need a mouse for links or lynx or kermit, just swm. I
don't even have one plugged into this computer (DOS). I might attempt to
compile ratpoison (and a recent kermit with ftp) on BL1 with the 2.2.16
kernel - do I need to change anything first to work with Bl3?