baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:53:02 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I was planning on using the new 2.0.40 kernel (which is due
> to be released at the end of the month). However, I've just
> discovered a conflict between uClibc and the 2.0.39 kernel
> that I'm using for testing. Hopefully I will be able to find
> the source of the problem. I'd really like to use 2.0.40,
> which provides updated functionality in a small kernel (387 kb
> at the moment). If necessary, I could use libc5 (which is half
> the size of glibc2). It is infinitely more stable than uClibc,
> which is continally releasing bugfixes and is planning a major
> revision soon which will break binary compatibility with all
> previous versions. Even though uClibc is half the size of
> libc5, I wonder whether it is worth the trouble?

So BL3 will be a move back to the 2.0.x kernel? Interesting. Of course
the problem with libc5 is that not many up-to-date apps work with it,
right? Wasn't that largely the reason for going with a 2.2.x kernel and
glibc2? uClibc seems definitely a better direction if there's alot of
application development going on for that set of libraries. Breaking
binary compatibility soon with a new release does sound rather ominous,
though.

Slowly surfacing after the move; hope to get back to that 386 project soon
(now that my LAN is getting back to functionality).

James