baslinux - [BL] Adding user accounts

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Adding user accounts
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:01:15 -0500 (EST)

We still could not figure out how to set up a new account with useradd,
which gives very cryptic (to us) instructions:
useradd [P passwd] name

We left out the optional [ ] part and just typed
useradd jim

Then discovered that we need a password for jim, not just the Enter key,
and used adduser to fix this up (type Enter key when it asks for a
password, and again when it complains your password is too weak and too
short].

There already seems to be a user account called 'user' - would this have
password [enter key]? I looked in /etc/passwd/

Can we forget shadow.tgz and simply hand-edit /etc/passwd to add users and
change their passwords?

jim's new account does not specify (at the end if the line in /etc/passwd)
/bin/bash - is this the default shell?

We answered all questions about groups, etc., in add user with the enter
key. Now it seems we need to set some permissions in order to use the
account.

Please explain, someone.

A user account appears to be needed in order to print other than from the
command line, and I think it was recommended to dial (ppp-on) with root
and then switch to user to run a browser for security reasons. And dosemu
requires a user account.