baslinux - Re: [BL] Adding user accounts

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Adding user accounts
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:26:08 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Just type passwd as root or as the user?

Either.
george types: passwd
Root types: passwd george

> Null password being the enter key?

Yes.

> > ----------------------------
> > chown -R george /home/george
> > ----------------------------
>
> /home/user/george?

/home/george

> No directory, logging in with HOME=/
> Did we forget to do something else too?

/etc/passwd
george::1000:100::/home/george:/bin/bash

> I went to our user account and typed 'lynx' and got unable
> to access document (hotlist.html).

I assume hotlist.html is still in /root. Natually users
do not normally have access to root's home directory.

> DO we need to make copies of all the config files used by
> programs in the user directory,

Not necessarily. Config files used by everybody go in /etc
or /usr/etc or /usr/X11/etc or /usr/share or ???
Personal config files go in the home directory.

> I think you said to dial as root and then go online as a
> user

I dial as user (although it is a wee bit complicated to set
up). I added ppp-on and ppp-off to my icewm menu, so it is
click on, click off. However, for the moment it will be
simpler for you to dial as root from a tty and then return
to X (where you browse from a user account).