baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:24:26 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Anthony J. Albert wrote:

> I did read Steven's reply to your original post on this topic, before
> composing my own, and, because of his reply, I didn't really mention
> xvesa. If it is possible to compile xvesa under libc5, then it might
> very well be worth giving a try - but from Steven's post, I suspect
> that might be difficult.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the libraries problem. That could, indeed, be
the show-stopper for this xvesa experiment. Wonder if the uClibc
libraries Steven mentioned would be any help here?

> I have tried to run compiles on a 4MB 386SX, with BL1.x installed on
> the hard drive, and I was only able to get the simplest programs to
> compile. gcc kept bombing out on anything much more complex than "Hello
> World", until I added additional memory.

Thanks for that information. I do have the BL1 compiler to install, if I
get adventurous. Maybe with a math coprocessor compiling would work
better? (just a guess: I don't really have a very clear idea of what a
coprocessor actually does) I've asked a friend if he might be able to dig
one up from among his scrap heap.

Thanks, James