baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:27:56 -0500 (EST)

> I posted a working filter for a dotmatrix, but the deskjet
> filter was just a guess (I do not have an inkjet printer).
> I'm pretty sure the resolution in that filter was wrong for
> a deskjet (and some of the other parameters are suspect).
> You said you had a working deskjet filter in your DOS version
> of gs. Please post.

All I changed in your filter was the resolution, -r300x300 for LQ.
The deskjet.filter is on my other linux computer so I cannot copy it
easily right now. DOS uses gs386 not gs but I think the filter was
something like (not sure about the paper size part)

Draft quality would be -r150x150

gs -sDEVICE=deskjet -sPAPER=letter -r300x300

> Then you must remember to do those insmods manually.
I have been using wp. As frequently as I print it is not very time
consuming to do it that way.

> > How do I use the -P parameter?
>
> man lpr

> > Can i also specify resolution in each filter, such as djd
> > and djl for deskjet draft and letter quality 150 and 300 dpi?
>
> You can define as many filter files as you like, each with
> different parameters.
>
> > What does the |ps|PS| in printcap mean?
>
> They are alternative labels for that printer definition.
> You can use them with lpr (-P parameter) to select that
> definition.

But I can also choose to print .pdf files with the same definition?
I may just use the command line instead, with different filters.

I am not having very good luck with Opera recently. It keeps unloading
itself if I try to load images, even with lots of RAM (128M). So there is
nothing to print except text or plain .pdf files.