baslinux - Re: [BL] Adding user accounts

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Adding user accounts
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:36:23 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Then discovered that we need a password for jim, not
> just the Enter key, and used adduser to fix this up

If all you want to change is the password, the passwd
command does that.

> Can we forget shadow.tgz and simply hand-edit /etc/passwd
> to add users and change their passwords?

Yes (that's the method I used to recommend in the past).
The only problem with that is the only password you can
set is the null password (anything else needs an encryption
routine).

> /bin/bash - is this the default shell?

Yes.

> Now it seems we need to set some permissions in order to
> use the account.

If you manually create a george account, you will need to give
ownership of the /home/george directory to george:
chown -R george /home/george