baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:35:56 -0500 (EST)

> Printing a web page from inside Netscape/Mozilla/Opera prints
> everything (fonts, graphics, whatever) exactly as it appears
> on the screen. Even on my ancient dotmatrix printer, I get
> a very nice copy of the screen.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

I was going to print from Opera (as user) but got sort of distracted when
I discovered that I get a different window manager when running as user
(twm?) and forgot to print after I changed preferences for Opera (which
are apparently different for root and user). I should probably copy over
.xinitrc from /root/ to /home/user/ if I want things to look the same.

Then I loaded xv and found an image (a gif from gimp) and displayed it and
did Print. It had a line with lpr and instructions to type 'lpr -Pname '
for printing with unix. I tried that and got an error message and then
tried not typing in -Pname (assuming I would get a default printer) and it
printed the image. I clicked on B/W to print the colored image and it
printed B/W. We print everything in black because we bought two quarts of
black inkjet ink to refill our cartridges with.

So you can use gs/xv to print images in monochrome even if they are color
images.

I was unable to print color pdf files with gs directly (in DOS)
on a non-color printer. The trick was to use a color printer without a
color cartridge in it, or convert to ps and delete the lines specifying
color (I forget how - change some numbers for rgb?).

Is there some way to print a color pdf file on a non-color printer using
lpd and printcap?

I have tried converting color pdf files to mono image files but you lose
detail that way.