baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:39:19 -0500 (EST)

> > deskjet.filter < filename.ps > /dev/lp0
> >
> > IT PRINTED (one page). I then looked closely at deskjet.filter
> > and it looked just like the line I use to print files with DOS
>
> Would you please post a copy of that filter file. The only
> working filter file I have is for a dotmatrix printer. Ron
> has a deskjet (I think) and seems to be having trouble making
> a valid filter file.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=deskjet -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=letter
-sOutputFile=- -
[should be all on one line and for draft change to -r150x150]

This just worked on our HP Deskjet 672C. It also works on the 540.
I will not try it on the 820 which is Windows only.

> > Is there some easier way to use the command line without
> > having to go to the location of deskjet.filter, which is
> > not on the path?
>
> It's the same as DOS, you either put it in the path or use
> the full pathname. Of course, if you use lpd/lpr, this is
> handled automatically.
>
> I suppose you could create a little script for this:
> ------------------------------
> deskjet.filter < $1 > /dev/lp0
> ------------------------------

I typed this (I tried it with and without an initial line #!/bin/sh)

and did
chmod +x printdj
and put it in /usr/local/bin as printdj

and typed
printdj filename.ps
and got an error message:

end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
/usr/local/bin/printdj: dev/lp0: Device not configured

I know I loaded the printer modules first because I had just printed with
the command line.

I was in /usr/local/bin and so was printdj.

No point in trying to be fancy until I get the simple script to work.