baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing ps/pdf with gs from command line WORKS!!!!! Was Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:40:34 -0500 (EST)

> > I tried to set up a user account (installed shadow.tgz
> > and did useradd but I could not figure out the right way
> > to specify my password)
>
> passwd

So I would type just useradd login passwd, substituting for these two
words my chosen login and password, or do I need to type the word passwd?
There was a -P before the passwd in the screen that i got when I typed
useradd. Assuming my login is aaaaa and my password is bbbbb do i type:
useradd aaaaa -P passwd bbbbb
or
useradd aaaaa -P bbbbb
or
useradd aaaaa bbbbb

> > Steven said to type:
> >
> > deskjet.filter < filename.ps > /dev/lp0
> >
> > IT PRINTED (one page). I then looked closely at deskjet.filter
> > and it looked just like the line I use to print files with DOS
>
> Would you please post a copy of that filter file. The only
> working filter file I have is for a dotmatrix printer. Ron
> has a deskjet (I think) and seems to be having trouble making
> a valid filter file.

The filter file for deskjet is the one you posted. I copied it exactly
(pasted it) with the last / removed as instructed. I have a deskjet 500
and his is a later model. I have a 600 series I can test my filter on
soon.

> > Is there some easier way to use the command line without
> > having to go to the location of deskjet.filter, which is
> > not on the path?
>
> It's the same as DOS, you either put it in the path or use
> the full pathname. Of course, if you use lpd/lpr, this is
> handled automatically.
>
> I suppose you could create a little script for this:
> ------------------------------
> deskjet.filter < $1 > /dev/lp0
> ------------------------------

Then I type in the name of the script followed by the file name?
For instance call the script printdj and type
printdj filename.ps?

I will avoid being fancy until I understand more about scripts.

> Or if you wanted to be fancy, you could design the script
> to check whether lp is up and, if not, install the print
> modules. Something like this:
> --------------------------------------
> if grep -qs lp /proc/parport/0/devices
> then :; else
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> insmod lp
> fi
> deskjet.filter < $1 > /dev/lp0
> --------------------------------------
>
> > Please tell me again how I can print files from the command
> > line by sending them to /dev/lp0 without using wp when they
> > are plain text files.
> >

> cat document > /dev/lp0
>

> > I presume I could just use a different .filter file for
> > each printer
>
> Yes. And you could put an entry in /etc/printcap for each
> of those (using the -P parameter in lpr to select which to
> use).

How do I use the -P parameter?
Can i also specify resolution in each filter, such as
djd and djl for deskjet draft and letter quality 150 and 300 dpi?

> > How would you need to modify printcap to print pdf files,
> > add a section changing the ps|PS to pdf|PDF?
>
> I don't think it is necessary to change anything. All
> printcap does is direct the file to the specified filter.
> It doesn't care whether the file ends in .ps or .pdf or
> whatever.

What does the |ps|PS| in printcap mean?

> It also enables you to print from Netscape/Mozilla/Opera.
I have never had the urge to print from Opera but may try some day.
I tend to save web pages as text files with lynx instead. Would lpd also
print html?