baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:51:21 +0000

Hi Steven,

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:03:37 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > BasicLinux lpr.info lpd[49]: BasicLinux requests printjob lp
>
> This is good.
>
> > BasicLinux lpr.warn lpd[49]: lp: job could not be printed
> > (cfA031BasicLinux)
>
> This is bad. A fatal error. Rather vague -- I wish lpd
> was a bit more forthcoming about why it could not be printed.
> Perhaps you might get more if you removed the -q from the
> gs filter file ?

That made no difference.

> BTW have you tried bypassing lpd by
> filtering (as root) direct to /dev/lp0 ?
> ---------------------------------------
> deskjet.filter < filename.ps > /dev/lp0
> ---------------------------------------

Just did.

Something is happening, but no output. I lose the cursor until I press
Ctrl+C.
And syslogd shows the same lpr.warn message as above.

> If that works, then the problem is in the lpd/lpr setup.
>
> If it's lpd/lpr, it could be some kind of permission problem
> (that includes executability). Not just files, could be a
> directory.
>
> I get that same error myself when I run lpr from root.
> I do my printing from user ichi, so ichi owns the filter
> script. If I try to print a .ps from root, it fails.
> I then switch to user ichi and it works.
>
> Whether this is some sort of security feature (because
> lpd is a network server) or is a result of the hamfisted
> way I configured lpd/lpr, I don't know.

In the directory /var/spool/lpd/ I find two little files:
lock
lpd.lock

I find the same in /var/spool/lpd/postscript

Is this of any significance ?

Regards,
Ron

---