baslinux - Re: [BL] X and keyboard mapping

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X and keyboard mapping
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:03:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> sindi keesan wrote:
> >
> > For the console, you add a couple of lines to .inputrc.
> > They are already there. Console works properly with either
> > type of keyboard (84 or 101).
> > I am supposed to add some Keycode lines 22=Backspace and
> > 107 = Delete to some file.
>
> Do you have a .Xdefaults file in your home directory?

Yes, it reads:

*VT100.Translations: #override \
<key>Delete: string("\033[3~")
*ttyModes: erase ^?

What does all this mean and can I modify it so the backspace and delete
keys will work the same way in X as in console mode? (And who put this
file here, BL2-X or some other X package I installed?)

Can I also use this file to make the keys on the number pad (arrows, Page
Down) act like the Numlock is NOT turned on?
--------------

I have discovered that when I dial or telnet to my bbs with Kermit (did
not check with minicom) either set of arrow keys works with Pine but the
keys on the numlock pad don't work with Lynx. This is in console mode
with the bbs set to vt100 (otherwise terminal type 'linux' is recognized
as 'unknown' and set to 'dumb terminal, which causes problems). Doug
Kaufman, author of the DOS lynx port, said he never uses arrow keys in
Lynx and to turn on vi keys and use hjkl instead. Good idea. I am still
browsing via the bbs because they have Lynx 2.8.4 with ssl and Slackware
7.1 offers only Lynx 2.8.3 without ssl and I don't know how to compile or
upgrade my library. (Also the bbs has a DSL line at 16K/sec and I have a
33K modem at 3-5K/sec)

----------------------------
> > Flwriter crashes EVERY time
>
> Looks like we can forget about flwriter. That leaves Ted
> and AbiWord (unless anybody has another suggestion).

The above 'EVERY' is out of context ;)

Flwriter crashes only when I use certain keyboard navigation commands. I
wrote the contact address at the website reporting crashing and lag
problems.

I don't even know if flwriter crashes for other people as well. Try
starting it and then, first thing, typing Alt-F (wait a few seconds for
the menu) then ESC or Ctrl-n.

If I type Alt-F and then immediately ESC it does not crash. I need to
first wait for the menu to appear. Once I access the menu with a mouse,
which fixes the lag, I think it also fixes the crashing problem. Alt-F
ESC no longer crashed the program when I tried it just now.

This is not difficult to work around, just use the mouse on the menu once
before you start typing. Maybe the authors can even fix the program.

My primary objection is the lack of keyboard navigation for some of the
features such as center and underline and bold and italic, which other
wordprocessors let you access with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-U for example. I also
asked the authors to add these features to the menus. You can choose the
font but not the font size from a menu.

LedIt (an even smaller wordprocessor) had full keyboard nagivation but it
kept giving me core dumps and had other problems too. I took a quick look
at the websites for Maxwell and Pathetic Writer. They are both 1.4M
download. They require the same elflibs files as did Links2.1.9 (for
viewing images). One of them (Pathetic Writer?) also required a lot of
other libraries. I would be happy with a wordprocessor that was compiled
not to do images, which would make it smaller.

Where can we find documentation for flwriter?