baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:54:23 -0400 (EDT)

> With icewm you click on the penguin to get a menu. In that
> menu you will find an xterm.

I think I read that icewm does not need a mouse. What file would I look
in for instructions how to use it without a mouse? (I may not have the
option of using a mouse.)

> > I had answered ttyS0 (com1) in your little program
>
> That would have created a link from mouse to /dev/ttyS0.
>
> > and also filled that in with the configuration program.
>
> And that probably by-passed the mouse link.

The link is still there and /dev/ttyS0 is in the configuration file.
The mouse worked and then stopped again. I did not change the link.

> > Every few minutes I am getting the message Id S1 respawning
> > too fast, disabled for 5 minutes - now what is going on?
>
> It sounds to me like you changed something in /etc/inittab
> If so, what?

I did nothing to inittab. This problem has gone away on its own, only
occurred during one session. Things are acting very unpredictable even
when I don't make any changes - they work, then they don't work, then they
sometimes work again.

> > I have an older keyboard (F1-F10) on the left. None of my
> > books tell you how to describe it. 84 keys, I think.
>
> man XF86Config
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb

Thanks, will look for that man page.

Further peculiarities:

Yesterday the mouse would not work at all, today it worked (for one
session, until I added back icewm). I think it also worked the very first
time for 2 seconds (I could move the X about an inch) - I thought it was
just a defective or dirty mouse at the time. IRQ conflict?

Yesterday when I was set to mono I could load X (no xterm at the time) on
the TTL/Hercules screen. Today it puts itself onto the VGA screen even
when started from the TTL screen.

Yesterday I could toggle between VTs even after loading X. Today I cannot
- the X screen (after you toggle from and then to it) displays only a lot
of text about modes and mouse problems. I cannot exit X after this
(Ctrl-Alt-Backspace do nothing).

What package(s) should I uninstall and then reinstall if I want to start
all over again (keeping better notes)?

Would it help to remove the Hercules card? To remove (rmmod) mdacon? To
change to a newer keyboard? To take out the Pentium overdrive cpu and put
in a standard 486DX2-66? This intermittent nature of whether things
work leads me to suspect a hardware defect. Or BL2 simply does not like
my hardware. It liked it just fine before X. I was not using a gpm
mouse.

Does Opera 5.05 require a mouse? Can I edit the XF86Config so there is NO
mouse and see if it will fix the other problems?

I found one mention of the same error message on the web in German but the
writer seemed even more confused than me. Fatal server error /dev/ttyS)
unable to get status of mouse fd (Input/output error).

What is 'fd'?

Thanks for your patience in helping me attack one piece of this at a time.