baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:58:35 -0400 (EDT)

Mouse works. Icewm still a puzzle.

> With icewm you click on the penguin to get a menu. In that
> menu you will find an xterm.

I clicked on the bar at page bottom. I don't see any penguin. Perhaps
the penguin is black on black? I did not find any xterm, just the same
sorts of things that I had found in twm - ways to move and resize windows,
ways to get a list of windows. The xterm that I put on the line after
icewm in .xinitrc did not appear on that menu. I will keep hunting for
manuals for icewm and ratpoison, maybe online.

> > Every few minutes I am getting the message Id S1 respawning
> > too fast, disabled for 5 minutes - now what is going on?
>
> It sounds to me like you changed something in /etc/inittab
> If so, what?

You were right. In order to use the nullmodem cable to transfer the X
packages from my DOS computer, I had removed # from the line starting in
s1 which apparently made this comport (ttyS0) suitable for use by a
null-modem terminal connection but not by a mouse. I put back the #.
The mouse works perfectly now.

Maybe just before or after that line in inittab you could put a comment
saying to remove # from this line to let you use a nullmodem cable but put
it back again to use a serial mouse on this port. For other dummies'
benefit. Thanks for pinpointing the problem so quickly.

Links 2.1.9 also works fine in X (links219 -g) but it refused to run in
mono mode - No supported color depth found. The only way I have found to
identify what is a link is to move the mouse around and watch for URLs
appearing at page bottom. I had this same problem with console Links
(0.93) until I numbered the links, which you cannot do in X. I am used to
links being numbered, or bold, or at least underlined. Ideas?

> > I have an older keyboard (F1-F10) on the left. None of my
> > books tell you how to describe it. 84 keys, I think.

> man XF86Config
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb

I have not found the man file for XF86config - I looked in /usr/X11Rb/man.
Where else might I look? (I have not installed groff, I can read the man
pages without it once I know where they are). I also looked for a list of
keyboard types online and have not yet had any success. I may just
substitute 84 for 101.

I think the reason Alt-F1 does not take me back to the X screen is that I
should be typing Alt-F7. Short memory.

I will try flwriter once I get the keyboard working. Thanks for the
binary and especially for all the help.

Sindi Keesan