baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:52:05 +0000

sindi keesan wrote:

> Since I want to use Hercules mono I installed xmono.tgz.
> Do I also need xvg16.tgz installed for the mono VGA monitor?

The vga16 Xserver will give you 16 shades of grey on
the mono VGA monitor. I think the mono Xserver only
does black/white output.

> And should it automatically recognize which to use when I
> switch VTs (and monitors)?

I don't think so. AFAIK you need a different /etc/XF86Config
for each card/monitor.

> Found this one - it consists of the line 'icewm'. Thanks.
> If this is working,

It should be working (if you installed bl2-x.tgz).

> should I see an xterm against the patterned background

No. icewm has a plain blue screen with a grey bar across
the bottom. Click on the penguin to get the menu.

> or just an X?

In icewm the mouse cursor is an arrow (not an X).

> I just installed the 16color package and it still gives no xterm.

Did you install the bl2-x.tgz package?