baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:19:20 -0400 (EDT)

224

2884

I have smicu semi succeeded in getting X to work.
I tried to make a mouse link in /dev and was told there was one already
to ttysS0. Since then (approimately) the mouse error message has
ceased, but the mouse still does not work. I left X set to vga16.

I experimented editing .xinitrc by replacing icewm with ratpoison or
nothing, no big help. At one point I got a stipe stripe at page bottom
but no arrow, the rest of the time an arrow and no stripe. I cannot
move the mouse arrow.

I then added the end of of .xinitrc the line xterm. When I remarked out
icewm I can go into X and get an xterm. In the Xtem I can run commands
but the backspace and arrow keys don't work. The arrows keys in Pine
keep turning on the numlock (could be I am not using the right terminal
emulation?)

I could run links .93 in an xterm, and when I typed links219 it ran
full-screen and contracry to what is at the Links website I can move
around in it without a mouse. I used the switch -g. I am in mode 640
adn virtual resolution 800. I did not have to set antying else.

Excuse my typing, it is hard without a backspace or arrows. The arrows
don't work in Links .2.1.9 either so it is probably not terminal
emulation.

The mouse error message seems to be permanently disappered.

I think startx gave me qhwhite arrow on black background, xinit black
background with white bottom stripe, with icewm loaded. With it #'sd
out and xterm running, I get the xterm. No xterm if I run a wem window
managre even with the xterm line. something is screwy but astonishingly
I don't seem to be having the graphical Links 2.19 problmes other people
had. I am delighted it does not require a mouse.

How might I fix the arrows keys and backspace? I need those more than a
mouse. Also I should learn to make this w xterm window full-screen.

I also cannot type Alt-F2 to change to VC2. The alphabet keys all work.

Again forgive my typing

Ctrl-D works to delte (in Pine).