baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:05:25 +0000

sindi keesan wrote:

> No stripe or penguin.

They are down below the bottom of the screen. That is
because you have configured X to be a window (640x480?)
on a larger (virtual) screen.

> It appears to be set to virtual resolution 800, mode 640.

You must have done this yourself. The XF86Config in bl2-x.tgz
does not create a virtual screen.

> Cannot move the arrow.

Mouse is misconfigured in XF86Config. Either the Device
line is wrong or the Protocol line is wrong.
------------------------------
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "Microsoft"
Device "/dev/mouse"
BaudRate 1200
Emulate3Buttons
EndSection
-------------------------------

> I detest computer mouses, Opera hopefully does not need one
> and you said icewm did not either.

Who? Me?

> The O'Reilly book only tells me '/dev/mouse is usually
> a link to the appropriate serial port (such as /dev/ttyS0)
> for serial mice....'

That is correct. The installation script in bl2-x.tgz does
this for you.

> Where would I put such a link?

To manually link 'mouse' to ttyS0 (com1):
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse