baslinux - [BL] X and keyboard mapping

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X and keyboard mapping
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

I have been unable to find a simple way to get my 84-key AT keyboard to
work with X. The PgDn and arrow keys act like the Numlock is stuck. The
backspace key does not backspace/delete (or do anything at all). There is
no "pc84" equivalent of "pc102" to add to the configuration file. I like
my F keys on te left.

I found a 101 key keyboard with F keys on the left. It will not plug into
my computer, the diameter of the plug seems to be slightly too small.

I found another keyboard. 101 keys (I counted). I tried it in X after
changing pc102 to pc101. I used the second set of arrow keys and PgDn and
those work. The regular ones (on the num pad) act like the Numlock is
stuck on. Perhaps there is some way to remap to stop it from acting
stuck on? I should look at xmodmap or xkbcomp, I am told. Where would I
find the pc101 keyboard definition so that I can modify it to act like 84
key keyboard (turn off numlock?).

The backspace key in X is now acting like a delete key.
The delete key is acting like the . key.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have been reading about this in
/usr/doc/kbd-0.99/doc/kbd.FAQ.html (section 5) which may have come with
the kdb.tgz package.

For the console, you add a couple of lines to .inputrc. They are already
there. Console works properly with either type of keyboard (84 or 101).

I am supposed to add some Keycode lines 22=Backspace and 107 = Delete to
some file. Perhaps this will also fix these keys on the 84-key keyboard.

Flwriter crashes EVERY time if the first thing I do after loading it is:

Alt-F ESC (file menu)
Alt-T ESC or
Alt-F Ctrl-n (new file)

Generic segmentation fault.