baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

mouse and icewm

By removing icewm and adding xterm in .xinitrc, I finally had X working
(without a window manager, with the mouse).

I added back icewm in .xinitrc (removed the #).

X will no longer even load, with or without the mouse, using xinit or
startx. I tried rebooting. I tried remaking the link between mouse and
ttyS0. I tried switching back to vga16 by installpkg xvg16.tgz - this
told me during installation ttyS0 - 1 input overrun(s). I switched back
to mono (where it had been working without icewm). I not only rebooted
but powered off and on again. Maybe I need to wait overnight again???

When I type startx or xinit: Fatal server error. /dev/ttyS0 unable to
get status of mouse fd (input/output)

What is an input overrun? Could it be some conflict between the little
BL2-X program for choosing where the mouse is, and the configuration
program?

Last time when X and mouse were working and I tried to run it on both
monitors, I eventually ended up with a situation where VT2, 3, and 4 had
the text intro to X on them and I could not exit that or find any way to
get back to the prompt, just switch back to VT1 (Alt-F1).

Any suggestions for making the mouse work again? Or at least getting back
to the point where I can load X with the mouse not working?