sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:28:21 +0200

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 à 22:47 +0200, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik a
écrit :

> I agree here. We should definately see if anything breakes provide proper
> notice well in advance(let's say 1 month or so should do it). The notice
> should be posted on the website, in the forums, on all the mailing lists
> and I was thinking of having a WARNING file in a spell that could be read
> in PREPARE(implementing a default_prepare here) or something which wouldn't
> have the standard timeout value and would show a message like:
>
> "This version update will break some spells(maybe a list of spells it
> breakes)
> if you wish to continue casting press y and run cleanse --fix after the
> cast"
>
> Something like that would be a really good idea.

Yes the WARNING file would be a good answer to this problem. Glad that
someone else share my opinions. Note even without that, it takes few
lines in PREPARE to do the prompt. That what I did in udev spell when
someone decided to change the config files without any notice.
But I agree, that would be better to have a WARNING file and that will
encourage maintainers to treat the problem. I'm not sure a different
timeout value is necessary, a default answer to 'n' might be enough ?
Obviously that should be documented in the Grimoire Guru Handbook.

> And as for the brokenness issue you are a developer of this fine distro and
> as
> such are supposed to follow some of the communication channels I believe.
> And as always voice your opinions.

It's not the first time I highlight this problem. I think it is the
third time. I have often the feeling that my few ideas are not welcomed,
but maybe I'm wrong. That explains the tone of my email.

--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be