sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: disk AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:39:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Flavien Bridault wrote:
Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 ? 22:47 +0200, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik a
?crit :

I agree here. We should definately see if anything breakes provide proper
notice well in advance(let's say 1 month or so should do it). The notice
should be posted on the website, in the forums, on all the mailing lists
and I was thinking of having a WARNING file in a spell that could be read
in PREPARE(implementing a default_prepare here) or something which wouldn't
have the standard timeout value and would show a message like:

"This version update will break some spells(maybe a list of spells it breakes)
if you wish to continue casting press y and run cleanse --fix after the cast"

Something like that would be a really good idea.

Yes the WARNING file would be a good answer to this problem. Glad that
someone else share my opinions. Note even without that, it takes few
lines in PREPARE to do the prompt. That what I did in udev spell when
someone decided to change the config files without any notice.
But I agree, that would be better to have a WARNING file and that will
encourage maintainers to treat the problem. I'm not sure a different
timeout value is necessary, a default answer to 'n' might be enough ?
Obviously that should be documented in the Grimoire Guru Handbook.

Why not just use triggers as they're intended and/or work with the
Sorcery Team to make sure the new triggers implementation can meet
your needs? There's no reason to prompt the user if they want their
system to be in a sane state, there's no one who'd answer 'n' unless
they wanted something to complain about.

And as for the brokenness issue you are a developer of this fine distro and as
such are supposed to follow some of the communication channels I believe.
And as always voice your opinions.

It's not the first time I highlight this problem. I think it is the
third time. I have often the feeling that my few ideas are not welcomed,
but maybe I'm wrong. That explains the tone of my email.

Be more persistent if you think you're being ignored. Also keep in
mind that everyone here is a volunteer and only has so much time
they're willing to devote to SMGL, which may be only enough time to
update/add packages they use, but not fully test every possible
package that could be affected by that.

- -sandalle

- --