sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:47:57 -0700

On Friday 02 September 2005 01:47 pm, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik wrote:

> I agree here. We should definately see if anything breakes provide proper
> notice well in advance(let's say 1 month or so should do it). The notice
> should be posted on the website, in the forums, on all the mailing lists
> and I was thinking of having a WARNING file in a spell that could be read
> in PREPARE(implementing a default_prepare here) or something which wouldn't
> have the standard timeout value and would show a message like:
>
> "This version update will break some spells(maybe a list of spells it
> breakes) if you wish to continue casting press y and run cleanse --fix
> after the cast"
>
> Something like that would be a really good idea.
>
> And as for the brokenness issue you are a developer of this fine distro and
> as such are supposed to follow some of the communication channels I belive.
> And as always voice your opinions. If it can be fixed I belive it will be
> fixed.
>
> Feedback is important for everyone. The users and the developers.

I did something like this in the PREPARE file of the Devel versions of
courier, courier-imap and maildrop, mostly because they were such large jumps
in versions from what we have, and some major differences between the
versions had happened. I haven't integrated them into Test yet, because I
wasn't sure I was done with the courier spell.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.