sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:55:01 -0700

On Friday 02 September 2005 02:46 pm, Flavien Bridault wrote:

> > Isn't the purpose of the test grimoire to find problems like this so that
> > people can mention them before they get to stable and we can decide how
> > best to respond?
>
> I expected such an answer. ;-)
> Yes, it is true that 'test' grimoire is designed, as its name means to
> test spells. :=)
> Hopelessly, we know well that a lot of normal users use it [0]. It's
> true however that they take a risk and they are warned.
> But in this case, the maintainer knew well that the update broke a lot.
> He updated it in july in devel, so I think he had enough time to notice
> that.
> And even if this grimoire is only designed to developers, I think this
> would be good to not waste the time they can provide to SMGL.
>
> > I did not know before your mails that openssl 0.9.8 broke so many things,
> > now that I know about I would definitely support something like the
> > warning ruskie suggested.
>
> Yes, we're three now ;-). Shall I post a bug in sorcery about that ?
>
> [0] http://ledger.sourcemage.org/users/grimoire.php

I think the reason a lot of users use test is becuase of two reasons:
1) For a long time, Stable wasn't.
2) Stable isn't updated fairly often.

I've been using Stable for a couple of months on my laptop w/o any problems,
but I have quite a few spells from Test set to supplant those in Stable.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.