sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:47:19 +0200

> That remind me that I have a cleanse --fix running for more than four
> hours now. It is only at half of the spells (CPU : XP2600+). Hopefully,
> I have noticed by chance that openssl 0.9.8 broke some packages. In fact
> it breaks a huge number of spells (all gnome spells for example) !!! I
> say "hopefully", because if I had switched off my box, I would have a
> completely broken box tomorrow, and I would not be able to work for
> hours. I keep thinking about all the (few) users we have that will have
> a broken box in the following days. They will definitively think they
> made the right choice. It's indeed very magic, your box can become
> useless with one spell upgraded !!

> I'm upset because it's not the first time (last time I remember, udev
> config files change that made a box unbootable...) I know this is not an
> easy problem to solve in sorcery, this would indeed require to have a
> much better trigger system. I would not blame our sorcery team for that.
> But since we don't have it yet, the least that we, as grimoire
> developers, can do, is to WARN THE USER ! Anything, a quick notice, a

I agree here. We should definately see if anything breakes provide proper
notice well in advance(let's say 1 month or so should do it). The notice
should be posted on the website, in the forums, on all the mailing lists
and I was thinking of having a WARNING file in a spell that could be read
in PREPARE(implementing a default_prepare here) or something which wouldn't
have the standard timeout value and would show a message like:

"This version update will break some spells(maybe a list of spells it breakes)
if you wish to continue casting press y and run cleanse --fix after the cast"

Something like that would be a really good idea.

And as for the brokenness issue you are a developer of this fine distro and as
such are supposed to follow some of the communication channels I belive.
And as always voice your opinions. If it can be fixed I belive it will be
fixed.

Feedback is important for everyone. The users and the developers.

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

Key id = 9A5117F8
Key fingerprint = 6731 FEF2 99A8 4672 5962 69AB 3DAF DA67 9A51 17F8