sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:21:07 +0200

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 à 16:39 -0700, Eric Sandall a écrit :

> Why not just use triggers as they're intended and/or work with the
> Sorcery Team to make sure the new triggers implementation can meet
> your needs? There's no reason to prompt the user if they want their
> system to be in a sane state, there's no one who'd answer 'n' unless
> they wanted something to complain about.

True. This is obviously the best solution, as I already said. Everyone
agree on that. The WARNING file or any code you might add in PREPARE
were rather a temporary fix...

> >> And as for the brokenness issue you are a developer of this fine distro
> >> and as
> >> such are supposed to follow some of the communication channels I believe.
> >> And as always voice your opinions.
> >
> > It's not the first time I highlight this problem. I think it is the
> > third time. I have often the feeling that my few ideas are not welcomed,
> > but maybe I'm wrong. That explains the tone of my email.
>
> Be more persistent if you think you're being ignored. Also keep in
> mind that everyone here is a volunteer and only has so much time
> they're willing to devote to SMGL, which may be only enough time to
> update/add packages they use, but not fully test every possible
> package that could be affected by that.

So I persist. :-p
Yes I know that everyone is a volunteer, I'm also one of them, do you
remember ? ;-)
But do you sincerely think it is a lack of testing ? I think not. You
only need to cast openssl and then try to launch some softwares to
notice that... Since the beginning of July, I think the people who
updated the package should have noticed it. Note that I don't want to
blame this person in particular ( I would have quote him unless ). This
is something that happens regularly with crucial spells, regardless of
the dev who does the update, and I find this would be good to solve that
once and for all, or at least provide some code to warn the user until
this be fixed.

--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad