sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:49:00 -0500

On Sep 02, Flavien Bridault [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 ? 16:15 -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) a
> ?crit :
> > Isn't the purpose of the test grimoire to find problems like this so that
> > people can mention them before they get to stable and we can decide how
> > best to respond?
> I expected such an answer. ;-)
> Yes, it is true that 'test' grimoire is designed, as its name means to
> test spells. :=)
> Hopelessly, we know well that a lot of normal users use it [0]. It's
> true however that they take a risk and they are warned.

As I understand it and as Jason noted, there are historical reasons for
this which the QA team is working to resolve. They've made great progress,
so I don't think this is truly hopeless. At some point (now?) people using
test on production boxes should probably be encouraged to switch back if
they don't really mean to be there.

> But in this case, the maintainer knew well that the update broke a lot.
> He updated it in july in devel, so I think he had enough time to notice
> that.

There was some traffic about if this was a good idea before it was
integrated, and the people that had tested so far said it seemed ok to them
IIRC. Apparently they missed some things, or didn't see the same level of
issue.

> And even if this grimoire is only designed to developers, I think this
> would be good to not waste the time they can provide to SMGL.

Well, I think we like them to help find the things that were otherwise
overlooked before users see them, see above. :-)

> > I did not know before your mails that openssl 0.9.8 broke so many things,
> > now that I know about I would definitely support something like the
> > warning
> > ruskie suggested.
> Yes, we're three now ;-). Shall I post a bug in sorcery about that ?

Of course...