sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire (was: switch)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire (was: switch)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:38:43 -0700

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 05:08:16PM +0200, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 ? 20:56 -0700, Seth Alan Woolley a ?crit :
> > On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:27:49PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > That's why we have a /stable/ grimoire that goes through at least a
> > > modicum of formal testing. Test grimoire is just packages integrated
> > > that worked for a developer. Devel is the playground. Choose your
> > > grimoire wisely.
> >
> > I can't stress this enough. If you want to be on a stable system, use
> > stable grimoire. If you want to test out somewhat tested packages, use
> > stable-rc. If you want to test out all the latest updates, use test,
> > but you DON'T run to the mailing list complaining about problems. Use
> > bug reports for that ;).
> >
> Sorry I have only one machine available both for my personal usage and
> for SMGL dev. To develop correctly on SMGL, I'm obliged to use test
> grimoire, and you're right, that is true that I forgot often that it is
> really a "test" grimoire. Anyway I think it is not a bad thing to use it
> for a personal usage since you can test a large number of softwares in
> the same time, and in real usage, not only with just casts.

Just a suggestion, if you have a few GB of storage space you can make
chroots with different grimoires and use them, and leave you main system
on stable. Ive been putting together a script for generating a clean
chroot (chrootgen.sh), its in //sgl/misc/chrootgen. Theres some included
instructions in the usage message. Ask me on irc if you need any help
or have any questions.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |