sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire (was: switch)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, disk AT sourcemage.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire (was: switch)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:56:02 -0700

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:27:49PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> <snip>
>
> That's why we have a /stable/ grimoire that goes through at least a
> modicum of formal testing. Test grimoire is just packages integrated
> that worked for a developer. Devel is the playground. Choose your
> grimoire wisely.

I can't stress this enough. If you want to be on a stable system, use
stable grimoire. If you want to test out somewhat tested packages, use
stable-rc. If you want to test out all the latest updates, use test,
but you DON'T run to the mailing list complaining about problems. Use
bug reports for that ;).

We really don't need a warning on test integrations -- that's just
absurd. Even ones that will break boxes. I run my development box on
straight devel grimoire and careful review of the mailing lists, irc,
and perforce help me keep it running. One notice somewhere that it's
risky is good, but if you didn't think it would break tons of things,
there's not much we can do about it. That's what test grimoire is for.

Moreover, there was an entire thread on the mailing list for this
integration:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-August/012089.html

And really, the box isn't totally broken just from an openssl update.

In the future, we can pick one place to put notices that stuff is risky
instead of having people check irc, ml, etc. I suggest that not be the
HISTORY file nor the Changelog, otherwise a false alarm might work its
way up the grimoire to stable, and I'd rather not have to filter every
changelog-like file for stuff that's not relevant anymore.

I think a note to the mailing list would be best. It's the best place
currently, and Sergey made the right decision here.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733