sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:46:12 +0200

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 à 16:15 -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) a
écrit :
> On Sep 02, Flavien Bridault [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> > I didn't say that our developers do a bad work in general. I was just
> > talking on this particular case, when an update breaks a lot of spells.
> > And there is indeed a big paradox. For example, we are currently
> > discussing a lot on the better way to ensure sources integrity, we have
> > a good security team to ensure that our spells are safe, we have great
> > tools in sorcery, good spells, but on the contrary, we don't care about
> > breaking tons of packages with a simple update, without any notice in
> > the spell (even in the HISTORY). Am I the only one to think there is
> > something wrong with that ?
> >
> > I think most people have not enough time to keep an eye on IRC, ML and
> > bugzilla as you suggest. And I also believe we lose users when such
> > things happen.
> > But maybe I do not well understand the purposes of SMGL and the people
> > we want to address to...
>
> Isn't the purpose of the test grimoire to find problems like this so that
> people can mention them before they get to stable and we can decide how
> best to respond?
I expected such an answer. ;-)
Yes, it is true that 'test' grimoire is designed, as its name means to
test spells. :=)
Hopelessly, we know well that a lot of normal users use it [0]. It's
true however that they take a risk and they are warned.
But in this case, the maintainer knew well that the update broke a lot.
He updated it in july in devel, so I think he had enough time to notice
that.
And even if this grimoire is only designed to developers, I think this
would be good to not waste the time they can provide to SMGL.

> I did not know before your mails that openssl 0.9.8 broke so many things,
> now that I know about I would definitely support something like the warning
> ruskie suggested.
Yes, we're three now ;-). Shall I post a bug in sorcery about that ?

[0] http://ledger.sourcemage.org/users/grimoire.php
--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad