sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:15:09 -0500

On Sep 02, Flavien Bridault [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> I didn't say that our developers do a bad work in general. I was just
> talking on this particular case, when an update breaks a lot of spells.
> And there is indeed a big paradox. For example, we are currently
> discussing a lot on the better way to ensure sources integrity, we have
> a good security team to ensure that our spells are safe, we have great
> tools in sorcery, good spells, but on the contrary, we don't care about
> breaking tons of packages with a simple update, without any notice in
> the spell (even in the HISTORY). Am I the only one to think there is
> something wrong with that ?
>
> I think most people have not enough time to keep an eye on IRC, ML and
> bugzilla as you suggest. And I also believe we lose users when such
> things happen.
> But maybe I do not well understand the purposes of SMGL and the people
> we want to address to...

Isn't the purpose of the test grimoire to find problems like this so that
people can mention them before they get to stable and we can decide how
best to respond?

I did not know before your mails that openssl 0.9.8 broke so many things,
now that I know about I would definitely support something like the warning
ruskie suggested.