permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:29:36 -0800 (PST)

Let's rewind for a second here, because there seems to be some ongoing
confusion about what exactly we're discussing.

In my original post under the "US National Permaculture conference" thread, I
began by debating the absolute need for an individual to take a PDC in order
to practice permaculture.  I think the final answer to that was, no, but it
almost always helps.  OK, cool.  I'll try to take one as soon as I can.
Next, in a post under the "Thoughts on PDCs - Was US National Permaculture
Conference" thread, I introduced the idea that some "freaky interesting
things have happened to me since I discovered permaculture."  I then invited
anyone interested in talking about that kind of thing off-line for further
discussion.

This line of discussion was then continued ONLINE, and has drawn some fire as
an inappropriate part of the permacultural world.  (Apparently even in this
setting!)  Repeatedly the idea that I would be teaching New Age, Aquarian
thinking in a PDC setting, if not nipped in the bud now, has been fabricated
out of thin air.  Remember, I was the one presenting the idea that a PDC
wasn't even necessary for one to "get" permaculture.  (I had already
discovered that connection to spirit, in an utterly mind-bending,
paradigm-shifting way, and wondered if that was the mind-blowing,
life-changing experience folks were crediting to their PDC experience.)

I just thought it was really interesting that one could come to recognize a
spiritual nature in the universe through science and resource economics, and
wanted to talk about it.  The idea that I even HAVE a spiritual nature is
still very foreign to me!

But Lee, your post makes a lot of sense, and I want to thank you for finally
touching on what I was hemming and hawing about in the first place.  I was
starting to get the feeling that that more indigenous connection to the
spirit had somehow been missed by a whole bunch of people who were claiming
some pretty intense experiences!  How could that be?

Is the subject just still a little taboo?

It's that tangible reawakening of the spirit and deep connection to Nature
that I think of as the beginning of a new age for humankind.  A completely
different relationship with the natural world, not based on economics of
scarcity, but on Gaia's bounty.  Maybe not capitalized 'New Age' in the
Aquarian sense.  But I have to be honest, we haven't even touched on the
freaky interesting things I originally brought up...yes, this time off-list,
please.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb