permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:54:05 -0800 (PST)

I don't believe any of us are post-poning the joy of that connection.  If you
don't feel it, you don't feel it.  Fair enough.  But I'd like to propose that
the anti- sentiment is at least as dogmatic in nature as what I've been
talking about.  Hard-line science and Darwinian gradualism produce a certain
type of superiority and inherent condescension that one usually only sees in
the certainty attending religious faith.  It's a brutal irony that afflicted
me as recently as a year ago.

I think as long as we subscribe to a Cartesian dualism that delineates
practicality and spiritual belonging-ness, we certainly will never fully
understand the connections reported by Fukuoka, Einstein, Stamets, DaVinci,
Newton, Galileo....not exactly a bunch of teleological flakes.

So I'll be sure to add that question to my interview of possible PDC
instructors.  If you have a religious conviction that the deep and
interconnected weavings of permaculture have nothing to do with spirit, then
I think I'll pass.  Unfortunately, that rules Bill Mollison out.

I also find it interesting that the voices of some of the old-timers, who
think of dancing and singing at permaculture gatherings as completely benign,
are distinctly absent from this discussion.  We've got some hairs to split
here, guys.  Don't you want in?

Thank you, Fran, for adding to this topic.  I have to say the speed with
which this door keeps getting pushed closed is really interesting.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb