permaculture - Re: [permaculture] work - was the gardener's shadow...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] work - was the gardener's shadow...
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:46:19 -0500

Mitch Triplett wrote:
Thanks Lee. All excellent points. To try to be more clear...

My post wasn't directed at you personally. It was more about the frequency
with which I hear/read the 'design to recline' maxim vs. something like
'make plans to use your hands'.
Yeah. I guess though that the presumption is that people already know that anything to do with gardening, landscaping, forestry, homesteading, etc. is a lot of work, as I mentioned. Therefore that the more important point is that if we design intelligently and work with natural systems, it's *less* work than we usually imagine.

Sure, there are some folks who will get the wrong idea... but I would rather see somebody get inspired and fall in love with permaculture, even if it appears to be a short lived infatuation, than never to hear those maxims at all. If it gets people thinking that perhaps taking a long term approach to design will ultimately result in less work, I suspect that's a mindset that will be useful to them at some point, even if not in a garden. :)

It's been fairly obvious over the past weeks that many folks' posts are
biased toward their particular way of practicing Pc. Nothing wrong with
that.

No, definitely not. It's just good to remind ourselves and each other sometimes that we're all working in different situations.

Your property sounds wonderful! I look forward to hearing more of your progress as it goes along. :)