permaculture - [permaculture] WWoof was: work - was the gardener's shadow...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] WWoof was: work - was the gardener's shadow...
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:39:12 -0800

(head slap with palm of hand)!
I just remembered a topic that I wanted to raise on the list:
WWoofers.
Willing workers on organic farms.

This is an organization that is, more or less, world wide, and which provides a forum for workers and land owners/managers to connect for mutually beneficial arrangments.
I imagine there are people here who have had experience with wwoofers and wwoofing?
I wonder if this might be an ideal time to introduce the topic.

Also, just as a sidebar to the hard work theme, there is a very interesting new book by Malcolm MacDowell called Outliers. In it, he describes how the hard work and hard thought of the rice paddy (along with a language more suited to the subject) resulted in excellence in math as a group characteristic trait.

Cheers!
Frances

After four years of living here, I just don't see
any other way of getting us to where we want to be without an enormous
amount of sweat. I can't imagine the insane amount of work anyone involved
in economic-Pc, legal-Pc, etc. must be doing to get their voices heard.
Yikes.