permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:29:57 -0700

Dear Lee,
I have to agree on the spiritual comments made here on the list. Much of what has been done on my farm here in central NM has come from ideas and nudgings while working with many materials often not used. All things are connected, and when practicing permaculture it is important to never forget that.
Feeding tumbleweed to my dairy goats to help offset the acidosis that occurs with a high alfalfa diet to using the same left overs as soil builders came from long observation and nudgings. The leftovers were then placed where I've been nudged to do so are now after several years building soil and as a result grass is growing on what once was a bare rock.
For the last three years I've done German style raised beds. They came also as a nudging and until this year I didn't know who was doing them elsewhere. Mine are made from the leavings of hay that fall outside the main feeding pen, weeds, a mixture of blow sand and manure that builds up along the fence to the occasional dosing of fine shredded wood from the baby's pens.
Spirituality, at least in my mind and on my farm play a heavy part in what is getting achieved here. I've never been able to go to a real PDC course and have only been able to read and observe. It is that connectedness that allows me to do what is needed here and one day in the next few years what began as a bare piece of land will be a beautiful and green oasis in my part of NM.
There are so many instances of being shown how to deal with issues and how to bring balance, that it would be difficult to relay them all, nor would I try. I truly doubt I will ever be able to grasp just how connected everything is, but do know the learning process/the doing here will never stop until my last breath.

Thank you,
Pat Maas