permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 18:21:12 -0800 (PST)

OK, I'm back.  What did I miss?  Yikes!  Looks like someone brought the heat!

One thing I really enjoy about this list is that the people involved are
almost without exception gracious and forgiving.  It demonstrates a real
character in permaculture that keeps me coming back.  I've seen a few times
when harsh words were exchanged, and for the most part we all seem to be good
friends moving toward a common goal at the end of the day.  I think that must
be rare in a world that is busy wrapping up its growth cycle.

Another thing I learned in all this: Don't....EVER....ever, ever, ever, ever,
ever, ever...mention the phrase "New Age" in a permacultural setting.  Or
risk being beaten about the back, chest, face, neck, and head area with a dry
leguminous branch in the winter of its discontent.  The mere mention of those
words apparently erases any formal education, practical experience, and
predisposition to reason, from the utterer's credentials.

Perhaps I should've just said, "Hey guys and gals, I experienced this
incredible mental paradigm shift about a year ago at the same time I
discovered permaculture.  Totally rocked my world.  Is this a normal part of
the curriculum?  Is that why everyone speaks so highly of their PDCs?  Did
they come away from them with a similar enlightenment?  Any sort of spiritual
connection is very foreign to me, although I'm definitely digging it!  At the
risk of sounding New Agey, I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the
matter."

But see, I would have uttered one of the sacred phrases (the others are Nee!,
Peng!, and Nooooo-one!) and required a cleansing through pain with the
leguminous twig thingy.  Dangerous ground.

But I've enjoyed it.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb