nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

  • From: "EmailUser samurphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:59:31 -0500

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions!

Bob, I have never heard of "perry" but would love to find more information.  I make wine and beer from kits now but look toward using my own homegrown fruits in the future.  I don't have a cider or wine press but might try making some perry on a small scale using a small juicer or Kitchenaid fruit strainer attachment.  Do have any instructions?

Shirley Murphy
*************************************

Too many Asian pears is a great problem!  First I would eat all them
that you can.  This helps you to learn the differences in tastes and
textures.  There are many recipes to try.  Here is a link to several
Asian pear recipes.

http://www.indexfresh.com/asianpear_recipes.htm

Asian pears are also great to juice.  Unlike European pears that
grind into almost nothing, Asian pear texture is more like apples.
If you have a cider or wine press you can add rice hulls to get better
extraction.  After you have the juice, you can ferment into perry, a
hard pear cider with ~7% alcohol by volume.  Perry is like hard apple
cider but has a small amount of residual sweetness from sorbitol
that makes a unique drink.

Enjoy,
Bob Capshew
S. Indiana, Zone 6