nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:00:11 -0500

I had Korean Giant/Don Bae - at least that's what I
ordered, and what the tree came labeled as - for
about 10 years. It would set 2 or 3 fruits, while
the nearby Shinko & Chojuro would be loaded with nice
big pears, and Niitaka would have 5(or 20) golfball
size fruits per cluster(yeah, I know, you've GOT to
thin). Those 2 or 3 KG fruits would get huge - as
you'd expect - but they never had any flavor
whatsoever, and not much sweetness. I didn't shed a
tear when fireblight finally took it out.
Chojuro has a butterscotch-like undertone.
Several years back, Mark Lee sent scions of an Asian
with good flavor that he'd found and tentatively IDed
as Bong Ri - I'm hoping it will fruit next year.

Lucky