nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Passiflora seed collecting

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Passiflora seed collecting
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:46:00 -0400

What I did the last couple years was pick as ripe of fruit as I could get (I
am in Michigan afterall) and let it dry. Later in the winter/early spring I
cut open the fruits and peeled off the dried ex-gelatinous material. It
comes off easy and has the taste and consistancy of a tart fruit leather.
(albeit small).

The seed was then left in the refrigerator until spring had really arrived
(Late May...lol) and my germination rate was excellent.

Betsy, care to exchange fruits later this fall? I'll trade you a dried
fruit for one of yours?

Scott Hills
Zone 6b Michigan

***********I have a productive, tasty Passiflora incarnata vine. It tastes
so good
that I am collecting seeds from the ripe fruit. So far, I have tried to
remove most of the flesh surrounding each seed, then air-dry in a well
ventilated area. It is hard to remove all of the flesh. Will some
fruit adhering to the seed ruin the seed?

Any tips out there for a production seed harvest?

Betsy Hilborn